Sunday, December 27, 2009

Expectations

It can be said that one should live without having expectations of others. But somehow in this co-existence we have here on earth that makes no sense to me. I do have expectations and I do feel hurt and possibly anger when those expectations are not met. I don’t think I’m talking about unreasonable expectations that might make my life easier but, rather, expectations of common decency.

A few weeks ago, on an unexpected warm sunny afternoon tossed in as a December surprise, I went for a long walk. Almost back to my starting point, I tripped and fell. The fall sent shooting pains through my body and knocked the wind out of me. I laid for several minutes on the cement sidewalk, in clear view of anyone passing by, before I was able to get up. In fact several cars did pass by, along with a bicyclist. Not one of them stopped to see if I was okay or even slowed and opened their window to inquire. It wasn’t the dark of night. There was no danger. I can only surmise it was total apathy. And I was disappointed because I do have expectations of common decency and concern for the welfare of others.

I have expectations from those I feel should know better: a therapist father who keeps putting off an arrival time by hours for his children on Christmas day; a minister grandfather who insists on baptizing a granddaughter at a time and place that the other grandparents can’t be present. These people should know better and by virtue of who they are and what they do, I believe those expectations are warranted.

I don’t go through life placing unreasonable expectations on others. At least, I hope I don’t. In fact, I value those who surprise me by doing the unexpected, for others even more than for myself. But I realize I do have expectations. I expect common decency. I expect caring about others. I expect caring about the environment. I expect follow though on commitments to others. There is probably more that I expect but the important thing is I do have expectations and I will unapologetically continue to do so while I walk upon this earth. Hopefully, my expectations will not be unreasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment